Friday, February 01, 2013

Scotch Teas


A little while back I was browsing at a thrift store and spied this book:


It reminded me of some of my Mother's cookbooks from the 60's. You know the ones where the recipes invariably turn out great. It was $2 so I picked it up.

It is actually from 1975 and has some terrific cookie recipes in it.

As I was looking through it last weekend, I noticed a recipe for Scotch Teas. They reminded me of the Oat Bars from Starbucks so gave them a try:


They turned out exactly as pictured in the cookbook but are sweeter than Starbucks Oat Bars. Even so, I would make them again and Brittany loved them!

Here's the recipe with only 5 ingredients:

1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup butter
2 cups quick-cooking rolled oats
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt

In saucepan combine sugar and butter, cook and stir until butter melts, remove from heat.
Stir in oats, baking powder and salt.
Turn into greased 8x8x2 inch baking pan. Bake at 350 for 20 to 25 minutes.
Cookies will not appear set(and they really don't), but will harden upon cooling.
Cool, cut into bars, makes 24.

Enjoy!



2 comments:

Rosemary said...

Those oat bars look yummy. B&G seem to have good recipes.

Avril Tanner said...

That is too funny! I own this book... got it at a garage sale a long long time ago! I love the tri-level brownies in it!